Monday, January 18, 2010

Introductory Post

Hello friends and family (and whoever else stumbles upon this blog).

So, this semester, I am an intern at an independent publishing company here in Pittsburgh. This is not a paid internship; I am doing this for credit at school that will go towards the publishing certificate after which I am chasing. Part of the requisite for taking this position is to simultaneously take the school's Independent Literary Publishing course, which is taught by the owner/editor of press for which I am interning.

Unfortunately, while applying for this position and registering for this class, I was under the impression that the cost of publication for the chapbook that I must produce was covered in the class fees. It is not, and I don't have the luxury of dropping this class until I am in a better financial position to take it. Of course, when that would be, anyway, is unclear, as I live from month to month off of fellowship money (yes, in addition to the internship, I am a fellow for the school's literary journal. No, I don't have time to eat or sleep).

The purpose of this blog is two-fold: to raise money for the publication of this chapbook, and to keep those who've donated up on the progress of said chapbook. The syllabus for the class containing the deadlines at each step towards publication is break-neck. There are a number of things I need to get taken care of before I can put together a solid budget, but I can estimate that the costs will likely be between $300-$400 (perhaps more once I consider promotional materials, which is mandatory through the class). It'd be nice if I could rise that money here, but you'd have to know that this is charity work--I could not pay this back. I am hoping the production of a nice little book and the joy of helping little ol' me might be enough repayment for a donation. I can only do my best to produce something nice, get a good grade, and if I've raised enough money, to send a copy of the book to everyone that's donated.

That being said, as things are now, I am in contract negotiations with author William Whitaker (some of you may know him), to make the subject of this chapbook a series of short stories centered around the Ohio River Valley, which I'm very excited about.

A note about the PayPal button to the left: I've just set that up and made a test-donation, which went through just fine. It is secure. However, if you would feel more comfortable writing a check, I will certainly accept checks.

Make it out to: Kriscinda Meadows

Send to:

920 Norfolk Street #2
Pittsburgh, PA 15217

I'm sorry I can't be more formal with this...all of this is moving very quickly and I need to get it going immediately. Thanks for your help and your patience.

1 comment: